Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Faith at Cornmarket

Faith is the next of the seven virtues that I am searching for in Oxford. Since the virtues were penned down a long long time ago, I thought I would try to find faith in a place which also goes a long way back in time. The church in this picture is most likely the oldest surviving building in Oxford, dating from about 1050. It's the parisch church of St Michael at the North Gate. It's a bit tucked away between the shops at Cornmarket but absolutely worth a visit. From the top of the tower you have a panoramic view of the city. Might come handy in my search for the remaining four virtues in the next coming days.

2 comments:

Leif Hagen said...

Looks like a magnificent church! I'd love to see the interior.... hint, hint

Tim said...

@Leif: Thanks for your comment, I haven't had the time today to make some pictures inside the church. Will try to do that this weekend.