Thursday, February 02, 2012

World Wetlands Day 2012

Was out for another walk today along the Oxford Canal when I found this reserve that I did not really know about, The Trap Grounds. This land and water reserve was once an unofficial tip for the people of North Oxford, and according to the Trap Grounds, the name has been used to describe this area since 1832 but the original reason is unknown. This photo is of the entrance to The Trap Grounds, which is along the Canal near the bridge on Frenchay Road.
It was fitting that I took this photo today, as when I was at home I heard on the BBC that today is World Wetlands Day. This day marks the date of the adoption of the Convention on Wetlands on 2 February 1971, in the Iranian city of Ramsar on the shores of the Caspian Sea. Each year since 1997, the Ramsar Secretariat has provided materials so that government agencies, non-governmental organizations, conservation organisations, and groups of citizens can help raise public awareness about the importance and value of wetlands.

1 comment:

Leeds daily photo said...

As someone who loves both duicks and frogs I am all for wetlands.