Friday, February 04, 2011

Trampled underfoot



There are quite a few of these little plaques set into the pavement around the Plain and the town end of the Cowley Road. They are the only example I'm aware of of what computer programmers would term an easter egg in town planning. Doubtless there are more - I once speculated with a friend that one of the best things about being a town planner would be the ability to name roads in such a way as to create bad puns like "Sailor Way". Perhaps it's for the best that I never went into town planning. These are far more fun than anything I could have come up with. Sadly I know nothing about their history.

3 comments:

Valladolid Daily Photo said...

I love all these plaques in the cities´ center. In my town there are some too.

Stephen Gower said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen Gower said...

http://www.fusion-arts.org/projects.php?id=20