Iffley Lock was built in 1632. It was one of three to be built in the 17th century – the others are at Sandford, and Swift Ditch (near Abingdon Lock).
When the lock was rebuilt in 1924 it was opened by Lord Desborough, then Chairman of the Thames Conservancy. This is commemorated by a small stone block bridge and landing stage which carries a large bronze bull’s head and coat of arms; it’s the ‘starting ring’ presented to the Oxford University Boat Club. Iffley marks the starting point of organised rowing races - there are around 10 regattas every year - in Oxford.
Originally Uploaded by M1keez