Saturday, February 03, 2007
The Pain, St Clements
The Plain acquired its name when St Clement's Church was removed from this site, leaving a wide open expanse surrounded by buildings. Victoria Fountain, built in 1899 on the site of the former St Clement's toll house, it was a belated commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria that had taken place in 1897, and provided a drinking fountain for people and troughs of water for horses. The Plan today is a very busy roundabout with the three roads to, Cowley, Headington, and Iffley staring here.